Admiralty and Maritime Law
With an extensive background in the area of maritime law, I can represent clients facing most types of maritime disputes. Not only do I practice law in this field, but I can speak the language, having owned and operated a marine towing and salvage business and having run off-shore oil field boats. My maritime practice covers the following areas:
- Preferred ship mortgage foreclosures. When an owner defaults on loan payments for a documented vessel, I may arrest, sue and obtain a judgment against the vessel and the vessel owner, if the owner has not abandoned the vessel.
- Salvage claims. I enforce priority maritime liens. If someone salvages a vessel and does not receive payment for his or her claim, I may arrest and sue the vessel in an effort to obtain compensation for the salvor. Salvors are entitled to compensation under the federal maritime law for saving the property of another.
- Jones Act & Unseaworthiness claims. I handle personal injury and wrongful death claims against a vessel owner.
Will, Trust and Probate Services
Having a will or trust in place makes it easier on your loved ones after you pass on. Many individuals avoid preparing a will or trust because they think it’s expensive to have such instruments prepared by a lawyer; it’s not -that’s a common misconception.
For over 29 years, I have helped clients draft, review and prepare wills and testamentary trusts, ensuring their assets are distributed according to their wishes. I also represent clients who are named the administrator of an estate, helping them through complex probate proceedings, so they can focus on what matters most – grieving the loss of their loved one.
Condominium and Homeowners Associations
When involved in association disputes, I primarily, but not exclusively, represent the condominium and homeowners associations. Since 1986, I have represented more than 100 associations in all aspects of association business and litigation. Many of the cases I work on in this field involve:
- Enforcing association covenants involving architectural and property maintenance issues and violations of the association’s rules and regulations.
- Interpreting documents and preparing legal opinions to guide the association’s board of directors.
- Drafting policies and procedures for the associations and advising the board on the election of the association’s directors.
General Commercial Litigation
As a trial attorney, I represent clients needing assistance with:
- Construction litigation: Subcontractor payment disputes, defective construction
- Mechanics liens: Foreclosing mechanics liens and obtaining contractor compensation
- Real property litigation: Boundary line disputes, easement disputes, encroachment issues
- Business entity formation: Choice of entity- partnership, corporation, limited liability company
- Business entity litigation: Dissolution and winding-up of a business
- Insurance: Coverage disputes, etc.
Mediation and Arbitration
I have been a Florida Supreme Court certified circuit civil mediator since 1998. As a neutral third-party mediator, I am both appointed by the court and hired by individuals to help negotiate settlements, so all parties involved avoid the time and expense of litigation.
Most litigants are required to participate in mediation before proceeding to court in an attempt to unburden clogged court dockets. Mediation also benefits the parties by leaving the decision-making in their hands, rather than in the hands of a judge or jury. I provide mediation services for the following types of matters:
- Construction cases
- Personal injury cases
- Insurance cases
- Real property disputes
- Condominium and homeowners disputes
- Employment discrimination disputes
- Maritime related controversies